FAQ Personal Lines

Stacy Campos, Erika Kerschner, Alicia Brown, Julie Jeromchek, Derek FloorIs my vehicle covered if I let someone else drive it? If you give someone permission to use your vehicle, the insurance typically follows the vehicle. Your insurance would be primary and if need be, the person borrowing your vehicle, their insurance would be secondary if needed. We recommend calling your insurance agent to discuss coverage in more detail.

Does my auto policy cover me when I rent a car? Your auto insurance will extend to your rental car with the coverages that you have on your current auto policy, within the United States and Canada. There are coverages that do not extend such as loss of use. The rental car company could charge you for the days that their vehicle is in for repairs and unable to use. Please call your agent to confirm your current coverage.

Why do I need Personal Injury Protection (PIP) on my auto insurance? Personal injury protection, also known at PIP, is primary over any medical insurance. PIP covers the insured, any passengers and pedestrians hit by a vehicle. This coverage is also a no fault coverage, meaning it can be used whether the accident is your fault or not. There is no deductible for this coverage and covers necessary hospital and medical expenses related to a covered claim.

Why do I need Underinsured Motorist Coverage on my auto?About 16% of Washington’s drivers are uninsured, and in some rural counties it’s over 20%. That’s a scary thought and we want to make sure you are covered to the best of our abilities. Underinsured Motorist provides coverage to you and your passengers for bodily injury and property damage caused by someone that is either uninsured or underinsured.

Does my policy cover my septic or drain field? Currently, there is no coverage for septic systems or drain fields. Companies are talking about having this coverage in the future, but we are unsure when this coverage will become available.

I’ve done upgrades to my house, should I let my insurance company know? Yes, you should let us know if changes are made to your house. This could change the cost guide to your home, meaning it could increase the cost of your dwelling. We want to make sure that your house is covered to 100% replacement cost in case there were to be a loss. We also recommend letting us know if you get a new roof. Often, we find that the company gives you a small discount for the age of the roof.

What to do in the event of an auto accident?

  1. Check for injuries for you and the passengers in your vehicle
  2. Exchange information with the other party such as name, address, phone numbers, license plate, driver’s license number, and insurance company information
  3. Call 911 no matter the severity of the accident, it is important to notify the police who will fill out an accident report and document the incident
  4. Identify witnesses
  5. Call your agent to report the claim and start the claims process

Will my auto insurance cover me while driving outside of the country? Your auto policy will insure you while driving in the U.S. and Canada, but will not extend elsewhere. In these instances, it is recommended you consider international auto insurance to make sure you are properly protected in the event of an accident.

What if I drive for UBER or Lyft? Will my auto insurance cover me?This activity is not covered by your auto policy. You can purchase coverage through the Ridesharing company, but this coverage will only insure you once you have picked up your passenger. Some insurance companies will allow coverage via an endorsement that will provide coverage from the period when you are logged into a Ridesharing network until your passenger is picked up. We recommend that you call us for more details if you are using or considering driving for a rideshare app.

What is Personal Liability Umbrella coverage?This coverage is excess liability coverage that extends beyond the liability limits provided on your home and auto policies. This coverage is designed to protect against major claims and lawsuits. While not all claim scenarios are covered under an umbrella, we highly recommend these policies as we live in a litigious environment. For such important coverage, it is at a very reasonable price. Call us for a quote, it only takes a few minutes.

Callis Insurance

Phone: 360.452.2314
Toll Free: 877.342.1102
Fax: 360.452.1701

Consumers Privacy Policy

Port Angeles Office

802 E 1st Street, Ste 3
Port Angeles, WA 98362

Bremerton Office

1000 6th St, Suite 120
Bremerton, WA 98337

Business Hours:

Monday - Friday

8:30am - 5pm

Skip to content